Stop the press

Stop the press

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wheel of morality, turn, turn, turn...

Morals. Got some?

The subject of morality is one that we, as journalists, should be both interested in and more importantly have an opinion on. It's an extremely important issue, one that we will no doubt be faced with in one form or another at some stage in our careers.

It comes up in an ever increasing number of situations. Can you trust your source? Why are they telling you this information? What’s in it for them? Is a journalist little more than a cog in the wheel of politics? If Minister A lets it slip that Minister B is secretly dealing drugs out of the back of his new shiny Audi A3 and you write the story, who are you serving? The public’s best interest? Minister A? Personally I feel that as a journalist I should strive to get the truth out even if that means Minister A comes out the victor. My job is public watchdog.

What if you are told you won’t get an interview if you don’t write a nice piece? Do you really want the interview under those conditions? Should you agree not to ask the tough questions but then ask them anyway? Someone else will get the interview if you won’t agree to their standards. You’ll be poor but at least you’ll have your morals. I’m sure there are many opinions on this.

What is most important to you as a journalist? Getting the story out or getting paid? Don’t get me wrong, money is great, but not at the expense of my beliefs.

Today we spoke about the topic of ‘junkets’. Picture this, floating skywards in a first class seat, sipping champagne as you soar effortlessly toward your sunny destination. An all expenses paid trip with only one day of work to tarnish your otherwise spacious schedule. We are all aware that these happen but what is your view on it? I do not wish to come off as if I am on a moral high-ground. To each their own. Just because I feel strongly about this does not mean that I think everyone should. I am of the opinion that the article could be written just as easily from a two star hotel as a five. That I would get there just as easily in business class as I would in first. And that I should come home once the job is done.

Call me old fashioned but personally I intend to keep my morals intact. I am not naive, I am aware there will be many situations that I will have to face that will not be black and white. I plan to stick with what I have said here.

I look forward to being able to stand behind my articles and say: “My writing speaks for itself and my salary pays for my sandwiches.”

OW

2 comments:

  1. "I would get there just as easily in business class as I would in first."
    So does that mean you're refusing to fly economy class? Only kidding.
    Orla raises extremely valid points, I think more ethical questions than moral ones (I view morality has a personal choice, whereas ethics, especially for journalists, has more of a public face).
    These are questions you must answer personally, there are no hard and fast rules. Is it acceptable for travel journalists to take free trips (they all do) to holiday destinations in order to write reviews of those very destinations? Is it acceptable for a motoring journalist to accept a free car for a week in order to write a review of the vehicle? Should journalists accept free lunches at events they are covering in the course or their work? How else could they conduct their work?
    Most journalists take the view that so long as the the value of the lunch is small (say below €10) and it does not influence your independence (which of course it wouldn't) then accepting free lunches does not matter.
    High ethics, to give it that loose term, is more concerned with accepting bribes, insider trading, lies and deceit.
    I'm glad we're talking about this issue though, even if we don't all agree. TF

    ReplyDelete