Stop the press

Stop the press

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Is it collage or college?

The Sunday Times broke a story about college fees returning to the political agenda. It seems an economist (Colin Hunt) has chaired an 'expert' group on third level education. Since when was an economist an educational expert, able to decide our future? We know what to expect-cuts, cuts and more cuts. However, we should all stand united and in solidarity to mourn the passing of our education.

It is exactly this type of slash and burn which has cost schools Special Needs Assistants, language teachers, etc. We are meant to become a 'knowledge based economy'. But how?

"The options being considered include an Australian-style student loan system to replace the present "no fees" approach.”
So I gather they are going to differentiate between fees and contribution, as if a choice exists.

I know that while this may offer some people the benefit over fees, it will cause utter devastation for others, myself included. My father supports me and my four siblings-one in LC and another in WIT. He has taken pay cuts and pension cuts as a garda already. I'm already behind on rent and esb bills. I might as well pack my bags if this is agreed. Even if it doesn't come into effect until further down the road, it will hit my younger sister and my two bro's.

I just can't get over how the present government gloss over everything and still get away with it. We try to kid ourselves and say "next time things will be different. When FG get into power things will improve."

But will they really? My dad would be a FF supporter, not a staunch one but one the less. I slag him about going for SF for the craic. I never voted and don't think I will anytime soon. Yes it is my democratic right, people died for me. All the policies are the same, more or less. Willie O'Dea was shoved out, felt he had to bow out, curious George led the way.

Did they just prove what everyone else thought they knew?

Is politics a dirty game?

D.K

No comments:

Post a Comment